The NAMI Veteran's Support Group is a free, peer-led support group connecting Veterans in the Greater Philadelphia area to other Veterans who've "been there." This is a safe and confidential space to gain insight from hearing the challenges and successes of others, and the groups are led by trained leaders who are also Veterans living in recovery themselves.
NAMI’s Support Groups are unique because they follow a structured model to ensure you and others in the group have an opportunity to be heard and to get what you need. The groups meet on a bi-weekly, weekly or monthly basis.
This is a peer support group that focuses on allowing participants to share their experiences and learn from each other in a safe environment. It is:
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adults (18+) with mental health conditions
- Led by peers (people with mental health conditions)
- 90 minutes long and meets weekly, every other week or monthly
- No specific medical therapy or treatment is endorsed
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop relationships. The group encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community.
NAMI Veteran's Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
Online Support Groups
ALL SUPPORT GROUPS ARE CURRENTLY MEETING ONLINE
Due to COVID-19, NAMI Veteran's Support Groups will meet online until further notice. This group is free of charge to any service member who'd like to attend, and it will be offered regularly on Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month from 6:30-8PM. View the schedule of online groups here: Online Support Groups.