Resources for Southeastern PA Counties

Introduction to Services for Individuals with Mental Illness and their Family Members in Southeastern Pennsylvania

Prepared by Southeastern Pennsylvania affiliates of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) – April, 2014

This document summarizes the types of services available and provides information about how to find available services. The specific services available to you will depend on the county you live in, whether you are seeking services for an adult or a child or teenager, and the type of insurance you have.

Because of the complexity and variability of available services, we encourage you to call one of the help numbers (listed in section 2) to talk with a knowledgeable individual who can help you find the resources that will best serve your needs. You may need to call more than one office and consult more than one website to get all the information you need – we encourage you to be persistent!

1. Major Categories of Services for Individuals with Mental Illness and their Family Members

Crisis intervention (crisis numbers; crisis centers; mobile crisis teams)

Call 911 if there is an immediate danger of physical harm.

Otherwise, call county crisis numbers:

  • Bucks County: 800-499-7455
  • Chester County: 610-280-3270 or 877-918-2100
  • Delaware County: 855-889-7827
  • Montgomery County: 610-279-6100
  • Philadelphia County: 215-686-4420

You can also call one of the national hotlines to be referred to the closest crisis center (800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) or 800-273-TALK (8255))

Outpatient treatment, including partial hospitalization, day programs, support groups, warm lines, psychiatric rehabilitation services, case management, intensive case management, peer support services, community support and individual therapists

  • Call one of the Help Lines listed in the next section.
  • Consult the Resource Guides listed in section 3.

Benefits (e.g. SSI, SSDI, Medicaid and Medicare)

Advocates to help when there is a problem with access to or quality of services:

  • Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania (MHASP) has advocacy services (215-751-1800;
  • PA Health Law Project gives free help to people when their Medicaid and Medicare services are not working well for them (215-625-3990;

Legal issues

K-12 schooling, transition to college transition to independent living

  • Call one of the Help Lines listed in the next section.
  • PLAN of PA (Planned Lifetime Assistance Network) provides fee-for-service help with the transition to independent living (610-687-4036;

Employment and volunteering

  • Call one of the Help Lines listed in the next section.
  • Consult the Resource Guides listed in section 3.

Social opportunities and support groups for individuals with mental illness

  • Call one of the Help Lines listed in the next section.
  • Consult the Resource Guides listed in section 3.

Support and respite services for family members

  • Call one of the NAMI affiliate Help Lines or MHASP; inquire about Family-to-Family education and support program, support groups, and help in resolving individual problems.

2. Help Lines and Warm Lines

  • For crisis lines, see section 1.
  • Help Lines provide information about resources and help with problem solving.
  • Warm Lines provide support.


Help Lines

Warm Line

  • 215-896-9717


Help Lines

Warm Line

  • 866-846-2722


Help Lines

Warm Line

  • 855-464-9342


Help Lines

Warm Line

  • 855-715-TALK (8255)


Help Lines

3. Online Guides to Resources

3a. Guides to Publicly Funded Mental Health Services

Bucks County

Delaware County

Chester County

Montgomery County

Philadelphia County

3b. Comprehensive Resource Guides

4. Finding a Mental Health Care Provider

NAMI PA Montgomery County website

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (

FREE – SELF-HELP BOOKLETS PROMOTE RECOVERY FOR PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES — Techniques to help reduce the effects of trauma, make lifestyle changes to positively affect emotional well-being, and build strong relationships are a few of the issues addressed in a series of new self-help guides developed to help people with psychiatric disabilities.  The guides are being offered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), a public health agency within the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.  Call SAMHSA’s Clearinghouse to obtain your free copies – 1.800.789.2647; TTY 301.443.9006 or log-on at

Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law ( — The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law is a national legal advocate for people with mental disabilities. Through precedent-setting litigation and in the public policy arena, the Bazelon Center works to advance and preserve the rights of people with mental illnesses and developmental disabilities.

KNOWHOW: NAMI for Consumers — NAMI National has a web/e-mail community of NAMI consumer members throughout the country.  This is an electronic forum for the sharing of support and information among consumer members of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. To subscribe, send an e-mail to: Include: your full first and last name, your state of residence and NAMI affiliation (Bucks County), a statement to the effect that you identify as a “primary consumer” of mental health services. or contact Ray Federici, e-mail and let him know you want to join.  Ray also established a similar web-based community for NAMI PA consumer members. Contact Ray via e-mail to join either or both.

The NAMI National website has a useful capability to search for info on Illnesses, treatment options, medications and user communities.  To use it, go to:

Community Support Program (CSP)

The Community Support Program (CSP) is a coalition of people concerned about the range and quality of public mental health services, basic life opportunities, level of community support and the overall quality of life for persons with a mental illness in the Bucks County area.

For info contact Joyce Schug 215-442-0760.

RECOVERY, Inc. ( — Recovery, Inc. is a self-help mental health program based on the work of neuropsychiatrist, the late Abraham A. Low, M.D. Recovery, Inc. is non-profit, non-sectarian and completely member managed. Recovery Inc., has been active since 1937 and we have groups meeting every week around the world. To find a meeting in the Delaware Valley, Telephone: 312-337-5661 or e-mail — a new resource center developed by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) for parents and caregivers of children and adolescents with depression.

CONTACT Bucks County ( is a non-profit, United Way agency that provides free telephone helpline services to the residents of Greater Philadelphia.

  • Lower Bucks: 215-547-1889 or 215-355-6000
  • Central Bucks: 215-340-1998
  • Upper Bucks: 215-536-0911
  • Main Line & Delaware County: 610-649-5250
  • Philadelphia Area: 888-855-5525


Please inform all of your staff, especially staff that “greet” the public, receptionists, intake, medical records, et al about Verizon’s Telecom-munications Relay Service.

The PA Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) allows people who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind, or speech disabled to communicate with anyone using a regular telephone.

This is done by using a keyboard machine called a text telephone (TTY) to send messages over the telephone network.

A Communications Assistant reads the typed message of the TTY user to a person using a regular telephone.

The Communications Assistant types the response of the regular telephone user to the TTY user.

All calls are handled with strictest confidentiality

Call 711 or 1-800-654-5984 to access this service

Call 1-800-855-2884 to access this service in Spanish

TRS is available 24/7.

People who do not have a TTY machine can reach TRS by dialing either 711 or 1-800-654-5988 or in Spanish 1-800-855-2885.

People who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind or speech disabled may qualify for telecom-munication devices to help them with telephone services.

Devices include TTY, Amplifier, Telebraille, Voice-carryover TTY, TTY with large visual display.


PA Statewide Independent Living Council
108-110 North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1401
1-866-542-3788 (voice)
1-800-440-0347 (TTY)

You can go onto the PA Public Utility Commission’s website to find out more information:

Also, Milestones has a Deaf Services Center in Glenside. Milestones has a Partial Hospitalization Program, Intensive Case Management, Residential (housing) and interpreter services. They can be reached at 215-884-5566. Treatment Services and ICM are in Magellan (HealthChoices) network for Bucks County

People with severe mental illnesses also are sometimes jailed because their families find it is the most expedient means of getting the person into needed treatment.

Read more on the criminalization of people with severe mental illnesses on the website of the Treatment Advocacy Center: