Planning for the Legal and Financial Future of a Loved One with Mental Illness
Prepared by NAMI PA, Main Line
Helpful sources of information include:
National Alliance on Mental Illness: 800-950-NAMI (6264)
Special Needs Estate Planning Guidance System, including state specific considerations.
- Webpage: http://www2.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Find_Support/Legal_Support/Special_Needs_Estate_Planning/Welcome_Page_to_SNEP_1.htm
- Links to relevant professional resources:
Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council
Website includes a thorough consideration of all aspects of estate planning including government, financial and health benefits, financial planning and trusts.
- Website: md-council.org
- “Planning Now” Estate planning guide: md-council.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Planning-Now-Guide-2018-4.pdf
L. Mark Russell et al., Planning for the Future
- L. Mark Russell’s website: markrussellattorney.com
- Planning for the Future (American Publishing Company; updated regularly, so look for most recent edition): amazon.com/Planning-Future-Providing-Meaningful-Disability/dp/0912891203
PLAN (Planned Lifetime Assistance Network)
Provides fee-for-service case management, personal care planning for the future, representative payee service, and special-needs trust services.
- Website: nationalplanalliance.org
Trustee services including a pooled trust option for families seeking an affordable way to set aside assets into a trust without losing eligibility for government benefits.