In Our Own Voice
All NAMI Support Groups Are Now Online
You can find the full group schedule on the online support page.
NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations change attitudes, assumptions and stereotypes about people with mental health conditions. These free, 40-, 60- or 90-minute presentations provide a personal perspective of mental illness, as presenters with lived experience talk openly about what it’s like to live with a mental health condition.
Our trained presenters humanize the misunderstood, highly stigmatized topic of mental illness by showing that it’s possible—and common—to live well with a mental health condition. This presentation also provides:
- A chance to ask presenters questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions.
- The understanding that every person with a mental health condition can hope for a brighter future.
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community.
Who better to talk about having a mental illness than those in recovery from a mental illness? Consumers are the experts in sharing their life experience. Consumers know what has and has not worked for them.
What does the program include?
- Two trained presenters give personal testimony about their journeys with mental illness through dark days, acceptance, treatment, coping skills, and successes, hopes, and dreams.
- Target audiences include: consumers, families, mental health service providers, educators, students, law enforcement personnel, professionals, faith communities, and all people wanting to learn about mental illness.
What People Are Saying
- “Amazing presentation with amazing presenters! You 100% erased any stigma I used to associate with mental illness.”
- “Several of the mental health staff stated that they saw recovery as a real option—for the first time ever.”
- “Presenting this program is the single most effective thing I am doing to maintain my mental health. Time after time, I see the audience respond with curiosity and interest. I know I am changing the face of mental illness and that I have transformed my pain into the power to make a difference.”
- “The inspiration of the NAMI presenters long outlives their actual visit. All who attend talk about it for days afterward.”
Schedule or Attend a Presentation
If you would like to host or attend a NAMI Bucks In Our Own Voice presentation, call us at 1-866-399-NAMI (6264) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If the presentation isn’t available, please express your interest by requesting one and provide referrals of interested individuals or groups.
How can I become a presenter?
Contact the NAMI Bucks office 215-442-5637 (Toll Free: 1-866-399-NAMI) or e-mail email@example.com to inquire.