In Our Own Voice
NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations change attitudes, assumptions and stereotypes about people with mental health conditions. These free, 40-, 60- or 90-minute presentations provide a personal perspective of mental illness, as presenters with lived experience talk openly about what it’s like to live with a mental health condition.
Our trained presenters humanize the misunderstood, highly stigmatized topic of mental illness by showing that it’s possible—and common—to live well with a mental health condition. This presentation also provides:
- A chance to ask presenters questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions.
- The understanding that every person with a mental health condition can hope for a brighter future.
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community.
Who better to talk about having a mental illness than those in recovery from a mental illness? Consumers are the experts in sharing their life experience. Consumers know what has and has not worked for them.
What does the program include?
- Two trained presenters give personal testimony about their journeys with mental illness through dark days, acceptance, treatment, coping skills, and successes, hopes, and dreams.
- Target audiences include: consumers, families, mental health service providers, educators, students, law enforcement personnel, professionals, faith communities, and all people wanting to learn about mental illness.
What People Are Saying
- “Amazing presentation with amazing presenters! You 100% erased any stigma I used to associate with mental illness.”
- “Several of the mental health staff stated that they saw recovery as a real option—for the first time ever.”
- “Presenting this program is the single most effective thing I am doing to maintain my mental health. Time after time, I see the audience respond with curiosity and interest. I know I am changing the face of mental illness and that I have transformed my pain into the power to make a difference.”
- “The inspiration of the NAMI presenters long outlives their actual visit. All who attend talk about it for days afterward.”
Schedule or Attend a Presentation
If you would like to host or attend a NAMI Bucks In Our Own Voice presentation, call us at 1-866-399-NAMI (6264) or e-mail email@example.com. If the presentation isn’t available, please express your interest by requesting one and provide referrals of interested individuals or groups.
How can I become a presenter?
Contact the NAMI Bucks office 215-442-5637 (Toll Free: 1-866-399-NAMI) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.